Thursday, September 15, 2011

VINTAGE RACE BRAKES

 I started to re-manufacture vintage drum brakes, replicating the shop-made vented racing drums of the 1960's and 70's. I primarily have been doing Japanese drums, and of those, mostly Honda. These are great for the class racers and cafe customs. I am building a 1956 BMW Rennsport racer replica and I will be doing a Beemer drum  soon. I can vent most any drum. The process begins with cutting the brake plate bezels out of bronze sheet and indexing them with stainless steel screws. Then the openings are marked out and the plate is put on a rotary table, and the vent openings are milled out.

completed brake plate




 The drum itself is bored to receive bronze bezels with stainless steel mesh inserts. Then the spoke web is drilled and reamed for weight reduction ...and also...just because it looks so freakin' cool.
I am working on an all stainless steel linkage to replace the chrome plated stamped stock linkage. I am also casting the brake arms in aluminum, and I'm working on sets of billet brake arms too. I will be posting again with more pictures of the finished stainless linkage and the billet arms.
      I am selling these brake drums and they are priced a' la carte, choose your bezel material (stainless, bronze, aluminum), screen material (bronze, brass or stainless) brake arms, linkage, or just a base drum and plate. Front or rear drums, I do both.  If you would like information on pricing and options, please contact me at:   philippeck@earthlink.net     and just type     Q 4 RACEBRAKE       in the subject box.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, could I ask where you get the bezels from, I think they look great and would like some
    Thanks
    Nick

    ReplyDelete