Thursday, September 15, 2011

CAFE VIRAGO BUILD - Some Aluminum Bits


The stock clutch actuator cover  is a hideous chrome job that had to go, after all, the engine is the focal point on this machine. the goal is all aluminum with black paint, so all the chromie bits MUST go. I machined an aluminum cover out of 1/2" plate with the appropriate reliefs on the reverse side and left an end mill finish on the top. The picture below shows the part installed on the engine.




 The stock Virago air box and filter are gone of course, so an air horn was the obvious way to go. The intake port enters the monocoque backbone on the left hand side, and cleverly uses ports in the frame to deliver air to each carburetor. I machined a very large velocity stack in aluminum that bolts onto the frame and will fit a filter element inside the frame port. Check out the scale with the penny next to it.  Frankly, it looks bad ass. I like it.



The stack, in place.

1 comment:

  1. Any possibility of getting these parts for my Virago? I am starting a build and you've pretty much done all the same stuff I was was planning on doing. This build looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete