Tuesday, September 24, 2013
Monday, October 22, 2012
Help my friend Kendrick by casting a vote for him to win a [small business] grant. It doesnt matter if you're in Alaske or Florida or Sweden, or Germany or anywhere! Its easy and quick and FREE. The grant would help his biz as well as his customers enabling him stock a deeper selection of parts as well as many other sweet things little independent bike shops need. Quaker City Motor Works is a small bike shop here in Glenside Pa, specializing in Brit bike repairs and customs, and Kendrick is a good bloke! Have a minute?...cast a vote for him. Below you will find a link-click it and cast a vote.
Sunday, October 14, 2012
Tuesday, August 7, 2012
|side bracing turned out well-the sockets have internal tapers that seat on tapered bosses welded to the frame.|
|Final drive in place to add rigidity while I welded.|
|Tacked and ready for beads|
|DOM tubing, torch bent over a mandrel|
|Tank coming together, its quite large.|
Wednesday, August 1, 2012
Philip is on a buisness trip, he's in a far away land, northern Jersey to be exact. He is peddling his wares as they say, "gone to market" might say others. So why is Philip writing in third person? Drama, simple as that. He is not in his shop where he can access photos and work on bikes and make postings of real metal bits being added to motorbikes, and he resents it. My friends, this will be an intellectual posting, when we set down our wrenches, we click off the Miller Synchrowave, and we reflect. Its time for some prose.
My '74 BMW R60/6 ...AKA The Blue Rat...dropped a valve due to badly worn valve guides. Learning curve...if you get a flat spot after 3000 RPM's it may not be the carbies. Here are some nice shots of the damage.
Very nice cratering of the piston crown!
Beautifully embedded valve tulip. Well done!
One cycle lift is not enough.
(yes I was scared)
Wednesday, April 4, 2012
The tail piece is fabricated out of steel sheet. First card stock patterns were cut to lay it out on the sheet steel. I then made a run to my bud Jim at Marquise Auto Restorations to use the shear and box and pan break. The seat pan was done in one piece and the round tail, in two. One hour and the two tail sections were shaped on the english wheel, trimmed and ready to be tacked together. The seat pan was pretty much done on the break, I just needed to tack and weld the cuts. A hump had to be put in the front of the pan for some clearance for the frame, visible just behind the tank. Next the round tail and the seat pan were tacked in place and final welding was done. As a finishing touch, I ran the lower edge through a Pexto bead roller to stiffen the assembly and define the bottom of the tailpiece.
I wanted to slam the pan as low as I could against the frame, following the contour of the frame. So far Im ok with how it looks. Its coming together as a "look" with the modified tank. Right now I have an 18 inch rear wheel temporarily on there to make it a roller, and my brother says I gotta keep it. The CM400 had a 16 inch rear wheel which does look stupid in this case. so I will probably stick with the 18 inch rear. Tail lights are always in issue/decision with a cafe bike. Im really not sure what I'm going to do with this one. Possibly a little 2" red dot in a sheet metal cone contoured into the hump. but the hump has a beauty left naked. That's for a later day.